When the Guy Above You Destroys Your Stuff

Most of us have been there; lived below the loudest tenants on the planet, who don’t seem to care about anyone but themselves. Every night is a party, and sleep is something you manage to get after 4am when things die down.

What happens when that same neighbor has one of those wild parties, and has a big accident with their fish tank? It breaks because someone falls in to it, and water rushes into your unit causing damage to your 50’ TV, your surround sound, your PS4 and couch. You angrily go upstairs to address the damage, but the guy proceeds to tell you that he doesn’t have insurance (of course). What now?

Luckily your renter’s insurance will cover the damage to your belongings when something like this occurs.

Here’s what you need to do:

  • Notify your landlord.
  • Be sure to remove any items from where the loss occurred to avoid further damage.
  • Call your insurance broker and let them know what happened.
  • Make a checklist with the cost of each damaged item.
  • Take photos of your damaged items.
  • Gather any receipts or documents you have for the items to help prove their value.

A claims adjuster will be assigned to you to help determine what happened and determine the pay-out for your loss. Unfortunately, your policy deductible will apply, but at least you will be covered for anything above and beyond that amount.

Even though you can’t choose your neighbors, you can take comfort in the fact that when they do something that damages your belongings you will be covered

Considering insurance with us? Let us help you decide.

Submit your information and any questions and we will send the answers you need to make the right decision on a policy.